Sashiko lavender sachets

Wednesday 20 November 2013

Screen Printing New Artwork

I have finally got round to putting the photos on the blog. These are the prints from the screen that I burned using my exposure unit.





I was quite pleased with the result as the screen burned clean and the image was crisp. I have a lot of work to do around creating patterns that repeat as this is really only a panel.

As it all worked I thought I would give a little more info on the exposure unit. As you can see in the previous post I used bits of wood I had lying about. The height of the lamp from the glass is approx 15 inches. It's a 500 watt halogen bulb. The glass is toughened and has a beveled edge for safety. I had the glass specially made with no UV filters in it, it cost about £33. The black cloth is felt and I cut a piece of sponge the size of the screen so that the cloth fitted tightly inside. The artwork was hand drawn, scanned and then printed onto inkjet transparencies. I exposed the screen for about 15 mins. There was loads of info online about timings so I made a guess and it worked ok.

Hope it has inspired you to have a go! Would love to see any pics of your homemade exposure units.

No comments:

Post a Comment