Sashiko lavender sachets

Thursday 6 September 2012

Sashiko on Hemp canvas





I dyed this Hemp Canvas last week, and I couldn't be more pleased with the colour. It's a beautiful violet shade, but I'm having trouble coming up with the right name to call it on my shop which really describes it. (any suggestions would be welcome).



This is the first item which I have decorated with my new found passion Sashiko embroidery, which originates from Northern Japan and is pronounced 'sash(i)ko, it means 'little stab'. It was originally used for adding strength and warmth to recycled clothes household goods and work clothes.


 It was a craft handed down from mother to daughter in farming and fishing communities and has seen a revival in popularity in recent years. Sashiko can be used as I have here as on stand alone piece, or can be used as part of an intricate repeated pattern.


I can't wait to get on with next design.



No comments:

Post a Comment